All drivers are Independent Contractors and will be paid as a 1099.
Payment is done through Stripe - an integration you set up when onboarding to the Onward Driver App. The first Stripe payment can take up to 10 business days and all subsequent payments can take up to 3 business days.
All payout amounts listed in the Onward Driver App reflect all bonuses and represent the total amount you will get paid for a drive, barring any additional changes while conducting the driver (ie, tolls, extended time or distance with rider).
Payout Financial Breakdown
- For rides to or from San Francisco, Marin or the South Bay, the base payout rate is $24/hour, for all other rides the base rate is $20/hour. We charge our riders for at least one hour so you will always be paid at least $20-$24 per ride, even if it is only 15 minutes
- After the initial hour, the payout is prorated by the minute -- so if your ride is 1.5 hours, your payout will be $30-$38 total
We include increased payouts or bonuses in the following scenarios:
- Long one-way trips
- Early morning and late evening trips
- Rides to and from the airport
- Rides on major holidays*
- Same day bookings
All increased payouts are subject to market responses and can fluctuate based on driver availability as well as ride region/location, time of day, traffic and more. We use a sophisticated algorithm to determine the optimized payout for every ride.
Other payment details:
- Trips that require a toll or parking will be reimbursed - please notify Onward Rides immediately after completing your ride to notify about extra expenses.
- Drivers are paid only for their time with the rider - we do not reimburse or pay for time getting to and from a ride unless specified by Onward Rides over phone or text message.
*These are the holidays Onward observes: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Presidents' Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas Day